The energy converter makes conversion between the energy units easy. Whether you’re looking for the conversion from joule to electron volt, erg to IT calorie, foot-pound to erg or any other conversion between popular energy units, you will find this conversion tool useful. Besides the energy conversion calculator, this page also provides you with information about energy conversions and the background of various energy units.
List of energy units
Our energy converter supported popular energy units as listed below:
- Joule (J)
- Thermodynamic calorie (calth)
- IT calorie
- Electron volt (eV)
- Horsepower-hour (hp*h)
- Watt-hour (W*s)
- Foot-pound (ft*lbf)
- BTU (Btu (th))
The energy conversion formulas below show you how various energy units can be converted into joules:
- 1 erg = 0.0000001 joule [J]
- 1 thermodynamic calorie [calth] = 4.184 joule [J]
- 1 IT calorie = 4.1868 joule [J]
- 1 electron volt [eV] = 1.60218E-19 joule [J]
- 1 horsepower-hour [hp*h] = 2684519.538 joule [J]
- 1 watt-hour [W*s] = 3600 joule [J]
- 1 foot-pound [ft*lbf] = 1.355817948 joule [J]
- 1 BTU [Btu (th)] = 1055.055853 joule [J]
Joule (symbol: J) is equal to the work done by a force of one newton acting through one metre. It is also the energy dissipated as heat when an electric current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second. The name ‘Joule’ is named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule.
How to use the energy calculator?
To perform an energy conversion, walk through the steps below:
- Enter the source value into the box at the top left.
- Select the unit of the source.
- Select the unit of the target.
- The energy conversion is automatically performed and the result is displayed at the right-hand side.