Our overtime calculator is a handy tool to help you find how much money you will earn in exchange for those extra hours at work. Just enter the information about regular and overtime pay and hours, and the calculator will do all the rest. It will show you the total regular and overtime pay you can expect.
Definition of overtime
Overtime is the amount of time that an employee works beyond regular working hours. The term is often used to describe the pay received for extra working hours.
Formulas for overtime pay
The algorithm behind the calculation of the monthly overtime pay is based on the following formula:
monthly_overtime_pay = overtime_pay_per_hour * (overtime_hours_per_week * 4)
If you want to find your total salary at the end of a month, you have to add the overtime pay to your regular salary:
total_pay = monthly_regular_pay + monthly_overtime_pay
How to calculate overtime pay?
You can use our smart overtime calculator to find the overtime pay or find it yourself with the formula above. The steps to use our overtime calculation tool are as below.
- Enter your regular pay. Let’s assume you earn $12 an hour. Input 12 into the regular pay field in the overtime calculator.
- Enter the number of hours you normally work per week. Assuming you work 40 hours per week, enter 40 in the Regular worktime field.
- Enter the amount of overtime pay.
- Enter the number of hours you worked overtime per week. Let’s say you worked 20 hours overtime. Enter 20 in the Overtime hours field.
- Our overtime calculator will automatically find your regular pay, your overtime pay and the total.